Diabetes is a complex condition, which can affect the entire body.
Facts about Diabetes
- 280 Australians develop diabetes every day
- Over 100,000 Australians have developed diabetes in the past year.
- Diabetes is the fastest growing chronic condition in Australia
Almost 1.1 million Australians currently have diagnosed diabetes. This includes:
- 120,000 people with type 1 diabetes
- 956,000 people with type 2 diabetes
- 23,600 women with gestational diabetes
- For every person diagnosed with diabetes, there is usually a family member or carer who also ‘lives with diabetes’ every day in a support role. This means that an estimated 2.2 million Australians are affected by diabetes every day.
- The total number of Australians with diabetes and pre-diabetes is estimated at 3.2 million
- Indigenous Australians are 3 times more likely to have type 2 diabetes compared with non-Indigenous Australians
- At least 2 million Australians have pre-diabetes and are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Up to 58% of cases of type 2 diabetes can be prevented in the high risk (pre-diabetes) population.
The staff at Dixons Pharmacy are trained to help you manage your Diabetes, give dietary and lifestyle advice, and answer any questions that you may have. We are happy to recommend suitable Blood Glucose Meters and other devices and demonstrate how to use them.
Our team of Pharmacists and Registered Nurse are able to download information from your Blood Glucose meters, explain and offer advice about the control of your blood sugar levels.
Our Registered Nurse is also available to work with you to assess your Diabetes Risk score – and provide an “action plan” to reduce your risk of developing type 2 Diabetes.
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS), is an initiative of the Australian Government administered by Diabetes Australia. The NDSS delivers diabetes-related products at subsidised prices and provides information and support services to people with diabetes. Registration is free and open to all Australians diagnosed with diabetes.
Dixons Pharmacy is a NDSS access point.
For more information about Diabetes go to : www.diabetesaustralia.com.au